Chapter 5 Quick facts
- By 2030, global demand for energy and water is expected to grow by 40 and 50 per cent respectively.
- Solid waste management dominates municipal annual budgets in low- and middle-income countries, with shares of 30 to 50 per cent
- In urban areas, climate change impacts like heat waves, heavy precipitations and droughts can compound one another, making disaster risk management more complex.
- Faced with extreme events, cities increasingly understand that novel ways are called for to build resilience, in the process contributing to a more equitable environment
- Although developed countries provide those less developed with financial support for climate change mitigation, it falls short if the on-going rise in global temperatures is to be contained.